Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Buttercream


This post will be a short one because I feel like a great batch of cupcakes really does speak for itself. I used Martha Stewarts' One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcake recipe, which works wonders to make the cupcakes moist (there is really nothing worse than a dry cupcake!) as well as my fail-safe chocolate buttercream to frost them with. The only tip I have for the batter recipe is to make sure you have a bowl with a beak to pour the batter into the cupcake liners because the batter is very, very liquidy and makes a huge mess otherwise.. and I speak from experience!

I have a very rustic approach when it comes to cupcakes - I like the frosting to not look perfect, and quite enjoy the uneven look of the buttercream as it finds itself a home atop of the fluffy cakey batter. I just spoon a good amount of buttercream on each cupcake and let it find its way.

I used milk chocolate in my buttercream this time, but this recipe works fabulously with bittersweet chocolate, or a heaping spoonful of caramel. If you're not a chocolate lover shy away from this recipe because these are intensely chocolately in the fabulously bad-for-you kind of way! But cupcakes come in small packages so it's all good right? Although I guess that's dependent on how many you have!

Milk Chocolate Buttercream

Frosts 15 cupcakes

1 stick of butter
1 3/4 cups of confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons of milk chocolate, melted and cooled

Cream the butter with an electric mixer. Add the confectioners' sugar little by little. Mix for about 3-4 minutes until the mixture is smooth. Fold in the cooled chocolate and mix until the chocolate is entirely incorporated. Ice the cupcakes as you please. Enjoy!

25 comments:

CC11 said...

Wow these look amazing!

Rebecca said...

Wow! Those cupcakes look sinful and delicious! I cannot wait to try them :) And the picture is SO CUTE!

Kate Morgan Jackson said...

Oh my goodness - these look delicious. And I love the picture. :-)

MaryBeth said...

I love chocolate and butter cream frosting but i must say i have never had it in chocolate...it must be wonderful

Hilary said...

I love the rustic cupcake look! I like that they actually look homemade.

Kana said...

Another great gift idea!

ali @ gimme some oven said...

So...it's breakfast time here, and I'm totally craving these. :) YUM.

I've been wanting to try Martha's one-bowl chocolate cupcakes for awhile. Feel inspired now to actually make it happen. These look great!

Simones Kitchen said...

I so want to have one of these now. I love chocolate and have just made buttercream myself for the first time, so maybe I should give these cupcakes a go!

Choclette said...

These look great - I love the contrast between the nearly black cake and the light chocolate colour of the icing.

vanillasugarblog said...

one bowl eh? tempting indeed.

pigpigscorner said...

They look so cute! Love chocolate!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look wonderful. I need cupcakes for a church gathering this weekend. Now I know what I'll be bringing.

Ele said...

These look so good! I also prefer the "rustic approach" to cake decorating!

Deana Sidney said...

Milk chocolate frosting is insane... great idea...

Trissa said...

I love anything that you can make it one bowl - and when it looks as good as your cupcakes... what a winner!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Gorgeous photo! I've never tried milk chocolate buttercream but it sure sounds delicious.

Tara Vorhes said...

Yum! They look oh so delicious! And I tend to prefer the rustic frosting style for a cupcake too.

recipe said...

great recipe, i think i,ll try on my kitchen, thanks

Q. said...

I made those cupcakes for a bridal shower - SO GOOD and so easy. One bowl - awesome! I added coffee instead of water in the batter and topped them with choc ganache. Yours look fabulous...TWO kinds of chocolate. Mmm.

Hannah said...

I can't even remember the last time I made regular old chocolate cupcakes, but now I'm thinking that it's definitely been way too long. These look so tempting!

Free Samples said...

Looks great!!

CookiePie said...

I've heard so many people rave about that cupcake recipe, I must try it! And your buttercream sounds delish and looks perfect!

El said...

I knew I shouldn't have looked at these before going to sleep. Now I need one! Great photo!

Deborah said...

These are absolutely gorgeous!

Jamie said...

Oooh I've just been thinking of making cupcakes and these have me licking my lips! Scrumptious!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin