Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pickled Daikon, Mango and Thai Basil Salad


This recipe has become one of my favourite salads to serve in warmer months. After tasting pickled daikon in many different restaurants, I decided to try making my own at home. It's really quite easy to make and can be stored in a jar with its pickling liquid to be used when needed. I love using mango in salads, and with the daikon, crunchy peanuts and Thai basil it's really quite delicious.

I love serving this salad with lemongrass grilled chicken (I really should post that recipe too!) - it's fresh, colorful and easy to put together - just my kind of dish!

Pickled Daikon, Mango and Thai Basil Salad
Serves 4

2 mangoes, cut into matchstick pieces
1/4 cup of pickled daikon (see recipe below)
2 tablespoons of coarsely chopped peanuts
5 leaves of Thai basil
2 tbl canola oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp sesame oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, sesame oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Reserve.
In a serving bowl add the mango strips and pickled daikon. Add the vinaigrette and toss until all pieces are coated. Add the peanuts and coarsely chopped Thai basil.

Sweet Pickled Daikon

1 daikon
2 tbl of salt
½ cup of sugar
1 cup of white vinegar

Slice the daikon into matchstick pieces. Sprinkle with the salt and allow to rest in a large bowl for at least 30min and up to 2 hours. In a bowl, mix 1 cup of lukewarm water with the sugar. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the vinegar. Add the daikon and allow to sit for 30 minutes before serving.

16 comments:

Chele said...

I feel a bit silly asking but what on earth is a Daikon and where would I locate one? I really want to try this recipe out.

Chocolate Shavings said...

Chele: It's a Japanese root that is often serve pickled as garnish in Japanese restaurants. It's cheap and really delicious. You can find it in Asian stores and a lot of supermarkets - let me know what you think of it if you give it a try!

Dan said...

Two interesting recipes with basil. Sounds like something I will need to try.

-- Dan
Basil Basics

pigpigscorner said...

Interesting recipe with daikon. I always use it in stews and soups but not like this.

to2sassy said...

I love pickled Daikon but OMG does it smell bad before and AFTER eating it...lol

Katie@Cozydelicious said...

This salad looks fantastic. I have never made my own pickled daikon, but it looks easy enough - I think I'll hav eto give it a try! Yum!

Carolyn Jung said...

I feel the heat already this morning, so this cool, crunchy, zippy salad is what I'm totally craving now. I love Japanese pickled veggies. Thanks for inspiring me to try my hand at making my own now.

CookiePie said...

GORGEOUS and sounds so refreshing!!!

veggie wedgie said...

Stunning picture!

Deborah said...

I have never had daikon before, but that is one gorgeous salad!

Jessica said...

This looks so delicious! Light and filling. The picture is beautiful as well.

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Cakebrain said...

Pickled daikon is my favourite kind of pickle! I seek it out for Vietnamese Sub sandwiches and in Chinese restaurants. It's so addictive! You've made a unique and delicious combination for pickles. looks yum!

lisaiscooking said...

I made pickled daikon once, and I should really do that again next time I receive some from my CSA. Your salad sounds so fresh and tasty. It's a great mix of flavors!

The Cilantropist said...

Just saw this from Pinterest and I had to come take a closer look! This salad is beautiful and sounds delicious to boot! ;)

Anonymous said...

Daikon can be quite large, how much measured Daikon should be used? Can't wait to try this.

Chocolate Shavings said...

Anonymous: I use a medium-sized daikon. If you're using a large daikon, make sure there is enough liquid and that all the pieces are in contact with the liquid. You can double the quantity of liquid if need be. Let me know how it turns out!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin