Monday, May 23, 2011

A taste of Summer: Shrimp, Cherry Tomato and Oregano Bucatini


As the weather is getting warmer, I've been craving light pasta dishes tossed with fresh ingredients and a mix of vibrant colours. This dish fits the bill pretty perfectly! I like using different types of pasta to spice up weeknight meals and the bucatini works beautifully in this one. It's a thicker cut than spaghetti with a nice bite and swirls wonderfully amongst the fresh cherry tomatoes, peas and shrimp. I also like finishing off these types of pasta dishes with a few simple steps: a little lemon juice (to brighten up all the flavours), some fresh herbs and a few creamy feta cubes. It's really the perfect spring or summer meal!

Shrimp, Cherry Tomato and Oregano Bucatini

Serves 2

Bucatini for 2
4 garlic cloves, thinly minced
12 shrimp, deveined and peeled
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup of frozen peas
1/4 cup of diced feta
2 tablespoons of heavy cream
4 sprigs of fresh oregano (leaves roughly torn)
1/2 lemon, juice and zest
Olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Add the peas to the pasta pot when there are 5 minutes of cooking time left.

While the pasta is cooking, place a pan on low heat and add a good drizzle of olive oil. Add the garlic and stir to coat. Add the shrimp with a good pinch of salt and pepper and cook until the shrimp just becomes pink and opaque. Remove from the heat and add the cherry tomatoes. Once the pasta and peas are cooked, drain and add to the pan with 2 teaspoons of pasta water and return to medium low heat. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice, zest, cream, feta and oregano.

Transfer to a serving platter adding a good drizzle of olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

14 comments:

Aggie said...

I'm the same way right now about pasta. Light and fresh. This looks so perfect!

Virginia O said...

Pasta is on the menu at least 2 times a week at my house. I've done a variation on this recipe, but I really like the use of tomatoes in this dish rather than just black olives in the one I am accustomed. I enter recipe contests quite often and an amalgam of the two might be the perfect submission.

Cheers!
Virginia

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Utterly gorgeous. SO fresh and delicious and summery. Well done!

Unknown said...

That sounds delicious! I love oregano, so nice to see it used so well here :)

kankana said...

Couldn't agree more with you. I too prefer light meals .. but colorful it should be during this time of the season. And Pasta is one of my all time fav and this dish looks perfect!

Juanita said...

Lovely colours...lovely textures and tastes.

bakerbyNature said...

I have yet to meet a pasta dish including shrimp and tomatoes I would turn down; adding oregano makes it even better!

Chocolate Shavings said...

bakerbyNature: For sure, fresh oregano adds freshness and colour to the dish!

Suzanne said...

The flavors in this pasta dish sound so good!

pigpigscorner said...

Light and refreshing! I've been making a lot of light pasta dishes recently too, great for Summer!

Recipes Club said...

This looks great! I love colorful dishes this time of year! Makes the food seem a little more lively. I think the oregano would add a great flavor! Have you tried this with a light sauce? Just a touch of marinara or a vodka sauce could spice it up just a touch!
~Nancy Lewis~

the jr. chef said...

YUM that pasta looks delicious! Great blog- love the title and pictures. Please visit my blog, Picky Eater Solutions, and leave some tips that have been helpful to you and your blog- I really appreciate it. Thanks so much. www.pickyeatersolutions.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

What a great summer meal - can't wait to try this!

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

This looks so light and delicious, perfect for the current warmer weather. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin